Since
starting this unit on folk music, the definition of folk music has changed.
Before coming to Ithaca, I would listen to music in the comfort of my room or
with my friends because I enjoyed the simplicity of the music and lyrics. Now
that I am in Ithaca, a town that is filled with the folk music, my view and
passion for this genre of music grew. For the first time, I was able to see how
music is able to bring forth a community and rejoice in the sounds that their
neighbor or friend has created. Currently, I would have to say that my
definition of folk music is a combination of my thoughts before and after
arriving in Ithaca. Folk music is, at least to me, simple music that brings a
community together by making the listener think. In the cases that we talked
about in class, a lot of the issues that musicians want to highlight are social
change.
I believe
the category that was most useful was the discussion between oral tradition vs.
written is a very important topic to bring up. I feel like many people believe
that folk is made singularly by a singer/songwriter. An interesting thought
that Nettl brought up in this writing is the idea of oral tradition. I thought
it was interesting the idea of oral tradition because, bringing a classical
song into the modern age, many singers had there own spin into a song. For
example, in class we listen to “Blowin’ In The Wind,” which was originally a
song written by Bob Dylan. Now, although the idea of oral tradition falls into
the category of religious music, I believe this song plays a very good example
in oral tradition. Years after Bob Dylan released the song; Peter Paul and Mary
released their version of the song, adding a music deeper meaning to it. The
overall idea of adding vocal harmony to a three-person group vs. Bob Dylan
performing solo adds to the idea of oral tradition; passing a song down to each
generation.
An idea
that I personally don’t agree with was his idea of professionalism vs. “common
folk.” I personally don’t think that there needs to be a separation between the
two. I believe that folk music was created for the people, by the people for a
functional cause. Although many agree that there are many nonprofessional
groups performing folk music, there are many professionals who have the same
amount of impact on a community. Again, looking at “Blowin’ In The Wind,” Peter
Paul and Mary are a professional group spreading the word of social justice
during the time of the Civil Rights movement. They were able to spread the
world of social justice as professional folk musicians.
The idea of
the song including something about change is something I think Nettl should
have talked about. I remember in class, we discussed the idea of the song
asking the listener a question and answering the question with what they
believe. In a majority of songs that we listened to in class, the songwriter is
trying to convey a point through the song. The idea of what the lyrics play in
the song is incredibly important to any song, but especially in folk music.
Folk music
can come in many forms but its sense of community for be everlasting. I believe
that Nettl wrote compared different forms of folk music to get the reader to
really think about folk music. Some points we are able to agree with, other we
are not. But what we can be certain of is folk music’s functioning purpose in
society; to bring a community together.
I agree with your opinion that Nettl should have mentioned social change as an aspect of folk music. Although it does not pertain to every folk song, it is reflected in many. The points vary in intensity too, and can be overlooked. I think this is due to the simplistic nature of folk songs. The easy melody does not allow for an in-depth explanation of a social issue. Instead, it leaves room for the audience to interpret.
ReplyDelete